Thursday, June 7, 2012

Breakfast at Tiffany's: Our version

So are you still wondering what was inside that Tiffany's box? Probably not, but I'm going to tell you anyway. So, for about 4 or 5 years now, I have been trying to be careful what I buy when it comes to adding things to my wardrobe. Part of it is because I no longer bring home an income, but the other part is when we starting thinking about having less things. We have had 4 addresses since we have been married and it is always embarrassing when you pack up boxes and see how much junk you have. The third part is just coming to peace with myself that I'm not really a trends kind of girl...I'm an old soul who loves the classics. I love clean lines and simplicity.

Anyway, around this same time I told Andrew that I wanted to start collecting classics for my jewelry box that I could later give to my girls. My brother bought me a beautiful silver bracelet from Tiffany's one Christmas (which is totally shocking if you know him...he is very generous, but I never would never expect him to step foot in a jewelry store.). Besides my wedding ring, this was my only other classic piece in my jewelry box. Through the years, Andrew has added a strand of pearls (both necklace and bracelet) and diamond earrings to my collection (all at various times). I also bought a silver necklace from Tiffany's when my dear friend and I were visiting New York one Christmas (before children)...I'm pretty sure we told our husbands we were picking out our own presents that year.

 So having Mother's Day, my birthday, and our anniversary all within 3 weeks of each other usually means I get one "clumped together" gift. For me, this is great since we are on our pursuit of minimalism.

For our anniversary this year (our tenth), we actually got a babysitter for the afternoon. We ate lunch at our favorite cafe and enjoyed uninterrupted adult conversation. That in itself was a huge gift. At the closing of our lunch date, Andrew gave me two options to end our afternoon: we could either go to a museum or we could go to Tiffany's and pick out a classic to add to my "collection."

Huh? This seemed like a trick question. "Do we have money for something like that?" I asked. To this, he smiled and told me he had made some extra money with his side business and would be happy to buy something for our ten year anniversary so long as it was reasonable.

Would you believe I almost said no? I almost did.

And then I realized these kind of offers don't come very often. (And I know it made him (the giver) feel very happy as well...even though we have been married for ten years, I think men still have that need to "woo" their wives every now and then. And I was very "woo'ed"!!)

So, here is the classic I added. I have worn it proudly almost every day since. (It's a necklace by the way).
So, I had my Audrey Hepburn moment...my Breakfast at Tiffany's moment. We didn't make it to Paris. But, this was the perfect day for us.

4 comments:

Krista said...

Absolutely fantastic!!! You can just tell Andrew to have a little chat with Ben before our tenth in 2 years!

Lauren said...

It's lovely!

Robin said...

Ahhhh...so sweet!

Unknown said...

Loved reading about your special day!