Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday's Favorite things-Highs and Low

I don't usually post things like this. I'm not a fashion, shopping, design, or food blogger. But, secretly, those are most of the blogs I read. Shocking, huh? I'm a fashion and design addict. Thanks to pinterest (by the way, click on the icon on the sidebar and you can follow all my finds), I can stash away all my ideas for those rare moments that I am allowed to buy myself a special treat. I have to be very smart with our money these days, but I still love day dreaming about the perfect classic closet and designed home. It's the artsy side of me.

Anyway, the point is, you don't need to worry about this becoming a different type of blog. It will still mostly consist of motherhood and faith. But, I thought it would fun to share a few of my favorite things now and then.

Today, I wanted to share with you some things about skincare. I have CRAZY sensitive skin. I know most people will say there skin is sensitive, but mine is ridiculous. Even being out in the sun too long causes me to break out in hives. I've always struggled with acne and what is really fabulous is the addition of wrinkles I have acquired on top of that since I turned 30.

That being said, one thing that is always worth any amount of money is skincare. For me, if my bare skin is clear and healthy looking, I feel good about myself. As much as I like makeup, I like to keep it very minimal in the summer time when I'm dripping sweat. So, I've compiled a list of my favorite things both high and low in price. Perhaps it will help some of you who struggle with the same things I do. (Skin in your 30's is complicated.) Before I give you all the nitty-gritty details, I'll tell you that I ALWAYS give myself at least two days off from makeup every week. I just feel like my skin needs a chance to breathe.

Highs

1. Clarisonic Mia-You've probably all heard about this by now. I was definitely skeptical. I finally caved when I saw you could try it for 90 days and return it if it didn't work for you (from Nordstrom). This is definitely one of those things you have to ease into. Use it once every other day, then once a day, and now I sometimes use it morning and night. I didn't notice immediate improvements, but after one month, my skin looks the best it ever has. If you have skin that is not prone to breakouts, I would NOT recommend this product. You don't need it. It won't do anything special for you. But those that are prone to breakouts, this is fabulous.

2. Juice Beauty Organic Oil Free Moisturizer-I seriously think I have tried every moisturizer on the market. With the exception of this one, they all end up just making me feel greasy. You only need one or two squirts, but this is amazing. It does not make me greasy at all. I always put it on at night because I have heard that is when your body needs it the most. I will also put a tiny bit on my cheeks before I put on my primer if I'm going to wear makeup that day. If I'm not going to wear makeup, I'll just put it all over. Two squirts is all you will need to cover your entire face. It will last you a long time.

3. Primer (to be worn under makeup)-Lancome or Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer: I like the Laura Mercier one when my skin is a little drier and the Lancome one when I know I'm going to get a little sweaty. The LM one is slightly more moisturizing, while the Lancome one dries to a matte finish. This is my miracle stuff. It has made a huge difference in how my makeup lasts through the day and I also think it has helped with my breakouts.

4. Either Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation or Lancome teinte miracle foundation: This one is a toss up. Both offer medium coverage and they both seem to work well on my skin. Again, a little goes a long way, so don't let the price tag scare you off. It will last you at least 4 months. I know a lot of people love Bare Minerals, but it just looked too heavy on me for some reason. 


5. Epiduo-OK. So this is something you actually have to get from a physician. It is a prescription and a really expensive one. But, you can get these rebate cards so that you don't pay more than around $30. I'm still on my first tube and it has lasted me 3 months (with still at least another months worth in it). I was skeptical at trying another retinoid product on my face, especially with my sensitive skin. But, this is a great one for sensitive skin. I still had to endure a month of really dry skin, but now my skin has gotten used to it. Like most acne prescriptions, it does take a couple months to really see a difference. But, it was worth the wait. Acne is a medical condition and there is no reason to suffer. You can use all those products above, but nothing beats getting help from a dermatologist.


LOWS
1. Maybelline SuperStay 24 HR Concealer- I don't know what it is about this concealer, but it just works. And it's five bucks. (Note: I only use this on acne spots/scars. I would not use this under my eyes...it would probably be too heavy and look unnatural)

2. Olay Sensitive Skin foaming face wash-best face wash I have ever used. Most face washes for sensitive skin don't feel like they clean my face well enough especially after wearing makeup. This is gentle and doesn't strip my skin, yet it really cleans well. I always use this at night with my Clarisonic Mia before putting on the Epiduo cream.

3. Cetaphil for normal skin-Sometimes I use this is the morning instead of the Olay if my skin is feeling a little dried out. It is moisturizing and is good enough to get those night time "ickies" off your face. I don't think it gets my makeup off well enough, so I only use this on skin that has been bare.


4. Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment-OK. I know this seems random. But, whenever I use the chapsticks that are vaseline-like, I will inevitably get a pimple near my mouth. Plus, they don't ever "heal" my lips...they just make me addicted to using it. I like the ointment because it absorbs into my lips and there is no cakey residue sitting on my lips. I'll put it on at night if I need it and it actually heals my chapped lips. So, I don't have to keep using all day long every single day like the other stuff.


5. Vanicream sunscreen and Arbonne baby sunscreen-these are the only two sunscreen I've found that I can use on my face and chest. I can use anything on the rest of my body, but these are the only two that don't break me out and don't give me hives. It is also the only thing Ella can use. Her face is allergic to something in most sunscreens just like me. If you want to try the Arbonne, I know a couple consultants you can get it from. I might experiment with some of their other products because I think they are supposed to be more natural. I'll keep you posted.


Most my other makeup is just cheap ole' Cover Girl or Maybelline. To me, mascara is mascara. I've never noticed a difference between the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff when it comes to eye makeup.

I also wanted to note that before I use the Clarisonic Mia at night, I do a quick wash with the Olay wash just with my hands and water to get the majority of my makeup off. 

As far as eating habits, something about eating salted peanuts and too many tomatoes seems to break me out. This is a shame because I especially love tomatoes. I just have to watch my intake of them. Nuts in general seem to be OK with my skin, but something about eating those salted peanuts can make me break out. I also usually stick to my one-two cups of coffee in the morning and then water the rest of the day. I know that makes some people roll their eyes. I used to hate water. It is an acquired "taste" for sure. But, you get used to it and it really does help your skin. I read somewhere that if you are feeling sluggish during the day, instead of reaching for caffeine right away, try drinking a glass of water first. I have found this to be so true. Sometimes a glass of water gives me more energy than anything else. 

Well, there you have it. Sarah's skincare 101! Don't expect too many "vanity" posts from me. I try to embrace my beauty from within and work on that the most. No product except God can change that. But, I am thankful that He gave someone the brains to design things that makes my messy skin feel so much better! Hope this helps any of you struggling with the same things! But really and truly, having a loving and compassionate heart will ALWAYS outshine perfect skin.

2 comments:

Wild Bluebonnets said...

Thanks for the tips. I see a few new products I'm going to give a try!

Jennifer said...

I am going to try some of these products..especially the cheaper ones! And maybe check out the more 'gifty' ones to put on my pressie list. I think a 'vanity'post from time to time is a great idea, everyone likes to be a bit 'girly' sometimes and I'll bet God loves his girls having a bit of fun. It's true though, inner peace and a smile are the best beauty tips of all.
Jen x