Monday, August 20, 2012

First came the minivan, then came the stay at home mom status...did you just say homeschooling? Huh?

You make one little comment on facebook with the word "homeschooling" and the entire world perks up their ears. I never knew that it was such a shocking word to people.

If you told me 5 years ago I'd be driving a minivan, I'd have said "no way". I had just traded in my Camaro for a Lexus...I mean, a Tahoo maybe, but never a minivan.

But, then I had three children really close together and it was the only thing that made sense. It made life so much easier. Not only that, but we bought a USED minivan so that we would have no car payments. It was actually one of the most liberating feelings in my entire life. I also realized my coolness factor was not defined by what kind of car I drove...also a very liberating and humbling feeling.

 And as time went by, it became clear that going back to work with three children ages 2 and under was not realistic. I'd be paying so much for daycare. I loved my job...but, not enough to pay to go there. And with time, I learned to LOVE being at home. I still desire to one day work again, but I have learned to have joy in doing laundry and caring for my children. It is a thankless job and we have almost no "extras" anymore, but God has completely used that for my good and His glory.

 But, if you ever told me I'd home school my children I'd say that was ridiculous. Not because I didn't think it was good. In fact, I've always been in awe of my friends who did it. I just didn't think I could do it. There are these really amazing people that God gave the gift of teaching and they are called TEACHERS...and I wasn't one of them.

 But over the past year, I've watched God change my heart and give me encouragement in the most unexpected places. I've watched Him perfectly weave together so many details that clearly say "Sarah, you can do this. Not only can you do this, but you can do this REALLY WELL." Do I think it is disobedient if I don't? No, no I don't. But, if I believe God is always good I do believe I could be missing out on something truly incredible if I don't.

So, yes. The rumor is true. We are moving forward with homeschooling. It was never my plan. It's ALL God. We are two weeks into it and it has been amazing...and hard..and amazing...and hard...and you get the point. I can't wait to share with you more this week about why we are homeschooling. There are so many reasons that it deserves its own post. It isn't for reasons you would ever think. And I have no idea for how long...but, right now it is a blessing for us all. And we are thankful for God for giving us (especially me) the opportunity. It truly is such a gift. So, whether it is for one year or the next twelve, I am confident that God will use this for His glory and our good.

But right now, Ella and I are traveling to Scotland and looking for the Loch Ness Monster. I'll let you know if we see Nessie.



(To be continued...because I love to drag things out!)

6 comments:

Meggan and Trent said...

We are taking the minivan plunge and my little facebook world imploded when I posted it! :) Cracked me up. Good luck homeschooling - I am very excited to hear more about it!

Nicole said...

From what I know of you through your writings I am positive that you will be a great teacher to your children! I am interrested in updates in this area, as my fiance and I have decided to someday take that route as well. Best of luck!

Lauren said...

Hahaha, we bought a minivan 2 days before I had Noah (even with only 2 kid at the time, it made the most sense to us), I am a stay at home mom, and I fully intend to homeschool. I don't know for how long, but I am 99.9% sure that Noah will not be going off to kindergarten in 2 years. I just cannot see that happening.

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures in this area!

Unknown said...

Well, I have to say I agree on the mini-van being a humbling but good thing. I started out as a mini-van owner at age 16 with my first car! Glad I did to for so many reasons (Including that it was free) :)

And God bless with the homeschooling! As a young man who was homeschooled for my whole education through 12th grade, I can tell you that it is a lot of work, but there are many, many blessings that come along with it. It's not for everyone, but those who can do it creatively and with dedication, find great joy in it.

Brittney said...

So cool! I admire you for taking that plunge:) And I can't wait to hear more about how everything's been going. You're a true inspiration to me - I hope to homeschool in a few years too.

Miss said...

First of all, b.c I have only "known" you as a mom, I had no idea you use to drive a CAMARO!! hilarious...I can see why the mini van was a bit hard to swallow! lol

But I ADORE your heart! I love that you have let God transform you into what lines up with Heaven more than what lines up with Earth! Not easy and can be very humbling...but as you said, so freeing! I love it! Can't wait to hear where this goes!!!