Friday, October 12, 2012

A little Nostalgia: Raggedy Ann and Andy

I thought I'd share what Ella and I are reading together these days. I recently expressed my need to find a good chapter book to start with Ella. We still love all our Angelina Ballerina Books, Ella Bella Books, and Katie books, but I was really desiring to start reading a more chapter type book with her. I read somewhere that it is good to start doing that with your kids when you notice that they have a little longer attention span (usually around Ella's age...age 4) so that they stop relying so much on pictures and start learning to just listen to a story and get a picture in their head. A friend of mine suggested the old Raggedy Ann stories (these started in 1918 people!!!). I am so, so glad she did because they are the perfect transition into chapter books.

I love the more mature and eloquent language in these books as well as the storyline themselves. The virtues and values are timeless and presented in a much "classier" way than some of the silly stories you will read in modern books. If you are a lover of the classics and classic language, these are a must for your bookshelf. I really just can't say enough good things about them.  Start with the "Ann" stories. (In all fairness, we haven't started the Andy book yet, but if it is even half as good as the Ann one, it's sure to be a hit!)


via

via
 Ella also has a Raggedy Ann and Andy doll set that her great grandmother (the one who Audrey's middle name came from) had made for her when she was just a wee little babe growing in the womb. Sometimes after we read the stories, we use the dolls to reenact the story.

So, if you are feeling a little nostalgic or ready to read something on a slightly higher level to your children, I would recommend starting with these.

Happy Friday!

No comments: