Monday, July 21, 2008

"God doesn't make fireworks..."

So, I can't possibly talk about mommyhood without bringing up my two nieces now and then. I am very lucky to have an older sister with two little girls. I've learned a lot from watching the two of them about being a mom. They are at an age where almost everything that comes out of their mouth is so funny; Abigail is 8 and Emma is 4.
Emma is definitely the motherly one of the two. She absolutely adores "baby Ella"-that's what she calls her. She would hold her all day if I let her. I think they will be good friends one day. Anyway, when I was pregnant, she asked me if I would make Ella's middle name "phant". When I asked her why, she said "Because then her name would be elephant-get it? hahaha." This was the same day she asked me how the baby was going to get out of my tummy. I, of course, said she should ask her mom that one.
Last week, Emma sat with me while I was feeding Ella. (Yes, I know it's confusing-Ella is a close name to Emma.) She looked at me with her big blue eyes and said..

"Aunt Sawah...did you know God made her?"
"Yes, Emma. I know. Why do you think He put her in my tummy?", I asked.
"Because He knew you'd be a good mommy for Ella.", Emma said.

sniffle, sniffle, sniffle (I was so touched!)

"And, Aunt Sawah, God made the trees, and puppies, and everything." Emma exclaimed.
"Yep, you're right!" I said.
"But there is one thing He didn't make...He didn't make fireworks. People made those."

Well, I wasn't going to argue with that. My daughter may forever be called "Ella-phant" by my nieces, but at least she has some smart girls to look up to!




2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Children just know how to make our days... Just wait- your will too!

Mommy Belle said...

That is such a sweet story!