Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Great Santa Debate

I am a Christian. I love Jesus.

But, I also love Santa, and Christmas lights, Christmas trees and wreaths, gingerbread houses, presents (to give), The Nutcracker, any and all cheesy Christmas movies, and even though I don't have an Elf on the Shelf, I'm sure I would probably love that tradition too. But, I don't love them as much or in the same way as how I love Jesus .

I love the magic of Santa. And I love hearing the story of who St. Nick really was.

And if you ask Ella who Santa Claus is, even though she is only three, she can tell you that there was a man named St. Nick who loved Jesus. And because he loved Jesus, he gave presents to the poor. But, we don't call him St. Nick. We call him Santa Claus. And he brings us presents in honor of Jesus.

And if you ask her why we celebrate Christmas, she will tell you because it is Jesus' birthday.

And some Christians may say that it is wrong for us to do anything except celebrate Jesus throughout that month. Some may say it is sacrilegious to have Santa as part of our day. And I understand completely where they are coming from.

But, I would say to them, we celebrate Jesus 365 days a year. And my child will know who Jesus is...

Because I pray every.single.day that she will see Him living through me and her daddy.

So, if you disagree, that is ok. Trust me when I say, I did a lot of praying and soul searching on how to approach this season with little impressionable minds.

In the end, I decided that there were always be A LOT of Jesus in this house. But, there is room in our inn for a little bit of Santa. 
Even the princesses came to see the One true King of King. And Santa brought gifts to Jesus as well.

4 comments:

Rob said...

I love it! I think for young children it is important to teach the real meaning, but adding in the tradition and "fun" of Santa is important too! My 3 year old knows we are having Jesus' birthday on Sunday- and she said Santa and Barney are both invited b/c they are friends with him!

Lauren said...

I think that is perfect. I struggle with how big of a deal to make out of the secular part of Christmas, because Christmas is about JESUS. But this sounds like a great balance.

I want the Little Peoples nativity set! I just found out it existed.

Pam said...

And I say Amen! and thank you! If you bring you children up in the right way, they will understand. Thank you for sharing and have a very safe and Merry Christmas, may God Bless you and your family. A friend in East Texas, Pam.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for writing this post! This is something I've started thinking about this year and I love your outlook. How great that Ella thinks Santa belongs at the nativity like the rest of us.